When I have my first conversation with a new interview success client, I ask them, “What interview questions stress you out”? Usually, the response is quick, and here are some of their answers:
- “I’ve been unemployed for a while, and I don’t know how to respond to the question, ‘What have you been doing since your last job?'”
- “I’ve had several jobs in a row that I have not remained at very long. I’m afraid of being perceived as a job jumper. What do I say when an employer calls out my short tenures at jobs?”
- “I don’t know how to answer why I am looking for a new job. I’m leaving my job because of my manager.”
When a candidate goes into an interview fearful of particular questions, it can cause overall self-doubt and negatively affect the candidate’s interview performance. The candidate is already at a disadvantage before the start of the interview because of the mental baggage they are dragging in. It’s like the candidate is entering the interview with a set of old heavy luggage filled with insecurities, fears, and self-doubt. That baggage puts them at an immediate disadvantage.
The candidate who hasn’t prepared effective answers to their most feared interview questions will feel anxious from the moment they arrive for the interview. We know from scientific studies that your first impression in an interview is critical. If you appear nervous or insecure, you may start the interview at a disadvantage before you even answer the first question: “Tell me about yourself?”
How can you ensure that you are feeling confident, energized, prepared, and certain of your value proposition when you arrive for your interview?
Ten reasons to hire Frank Burgoyne as your interview success coach:
- I help you craft strategic, effective interview answers to difficult questions that stress you out.
- I use mock interviews to help you practice and to give you honest, constructive feedback on your performance and help you fix any problems.
- I give you valuable feedback about your posture, body language, eye contact, and tone of voice that may be causing a negative interview impression.
- I can prepare you for each type of interview you encounter, including phone, video, or in person. Each type of interview requires a unique strategy.
- I’m passionate about helping you bring out your best to get you a job offer. I’m in your court 100% during the entire interview process.
- I leverage my 14 years of senior-level Recruiter experience to give you insider tips and strategies that get job offers.
- I diagnose what is holding you back and help you overcome it through practice.
- I help you own your value proposition and effectively communicate it.
- I identify any self-doubts that are holding you back and help you to shift your thinking about them so that you remain confident no matter what interview question comes your way.
- I will help you negotiate the highest possible salary offer. Aren’t you worth it?
Call me at 415-632-6986. I’d love to set up a time with you to discuss how I can help you. I offer a free 15-minute phone session.
You can view the original article which appeared on LinkedIn on February 5, 2018.